Everything seems to have gotten a little strange, very quickly. We’re used to talking about our meal delivery as something exciting and fun but right now we’re feeling the general anxiety and uncertainness and we understand you might be feeling it too.
With that in mind, I thought I’d share what we’re doing at Dinner Is Served to keep our customers safe if they need food delivered over the coming weeks.
With the COVID-19 Pandemic information coming out you may be staying home more often to socially distance yourself or require self-isolating. As such, food delivery may become a preferred option or necessity.
As the owner of Dinner Is Served, I wanted to address any potential concerns you might have about how safe it is to receive our meals and how we are handling the risk of COVID-19.
There are limited Australian articles on food delivery safety but this article from US addresses a number of the questions you may have
- The key information is ‘there is currently no evidence that COVID-19 can be transmitted through food or food packaging, though germs are known to live on surfaces up to nine days. The bigger potential issue is transmitting the new coronavirus from delivery person to customer, or vice versa, through coughing, vaporized air particles or other direct contacts.’
These are precautions we’re taking and changes we’re making to protect our customers;
- We are fortunate that our commercial kitchen and cool room is isolated within our warehouse premises. This allows us to keep the kitchen and cool room sealed and significantly limit access. At this time only our chefs and myself are allowed into the kitchen and cool room area.
- All on-site supplier visits and engagements have been banned. Produce deliveries are dropped externally at our warehouse door and retrieved by the chefs. No external access is allowed
- As a food business, we already sanitise the kitchen and cool room area to food safety standards and we have increased the length and depth of our cleaning process to ensure that all handles, surfaces and equipment are disinfected multiple times a day.
- Clean chef clothing is worn within the kitchen and cool room area and hands are washed upon entering.
- Our food packaging is stored internally in our warehouse and is brought into the kitchen where it is filled and moved directly to the internal cool room once filled. It is only handled by the chefs. Our heat-and-serve meal packaging is designed to be heated to at least 160c so any potential germs will be eradicated in that heating process. You should wash your hands before eating.
- Orders are boxed within our internal warehouse and placed directly into our refrigerated delivery vehicle. Our drivers will sanitise their hands and vehicles frequently throughout each day.
- Our drivers will no longer bring food inside the premises unless there is key code access and no one is home. We will call to arrange delivery and leave at your door for you to bring inside.
- Any staff presenting with Flu-like symptoms are sent home for 14 days or until cleared by a GP.
- All staff with oversees travel planned have postponed their trips for the foreseeable future.
In addition to protecting our customers with these increased precautions, we also realise that our current menu offering with only a four-person portion isn’t inclusive enough for everyone who may require home meal delivery. As such we have increased our portion sizes to include;
Small – Serves 1
Medium – Serves 2
Large – Serves 4
Our website www.dinnerisserved.com.au will be updated this week with this new sizing options and a children’s menu.
If you have any questions or concerns or require the new portion sizes this week, please give me a call on 0404 360 166 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope that everyone stays as safe as possible and if we can help anyone who has restricted access to food, please let me know how we can help.
We deliver across the Northern Rivers region.